8/18/09

Vacation


Please excuse my 'vacation.' We've barely begun and I have already taken off (for those that know me, I'm sure you are thinking, 'typical.') I assure you, my week off has not been entirely pleasant. In fact, I would say it was a melancholy week, marked by spectacular events. Go figure.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...Here's the week's recap, with a different number to represent each day I've been MIA:

10: Although the week ahead would be difficult to say the least, my first night in town couldn't have been more magical. As noted the last time I wrote, Cate and Abe were high school school sweethearts who married after ten years together. The genuine love they have for each other is evident. The two embody the expression "I'm in in love with my best friend" and for their first dance they did a choreographed number to prove it.

I did in fact refer to Jo as my partner (despite my hesitation); however, seeing my two old friends celebrate their future together only enhanced my own desire to move forward with my other half. It was the kind of night which reminds you that you are Lucky to be in love.

67:
I spent day two of my trip making the rounds you must when most of your family lives within a three block radius. It was that evening that kept me going. I had plans to meet up with some of my favorite college friends: Lillian, Six (yes, like in Blossom), and Bean (every good lesbian has a nickname.) Bean was even bringing her new girl and we were all pumped to meet her. (Before I get too serious, she really was fabulous...yay, Bean!)

I could not wait to see the girls but knew there would be a cloud hanging over us.
Six had spent the day prior laying her Nan to rest. Nan was 67 years old. It struck me as so young. My own grandmother was 80; grandpa even older. That night I saw the pain in Six' eyes and listened intensely as Lil has the epiphany that life really must go on. We laughed harder that night than I had in a long time. And we cried.

It was a hard evening but probably one of the most real I've had in a long time. I suppose it's the hard times that make you realize who means the most.


80:
I was just about to recap the time I spent with my grandmother during my vacation week. My laptop was open and my fingers were on the keyboard when the phone rang. Grandpa was on the other end, sobbing. It was not an unexpected phone call; however, the pit in my stomach was deeper than I could have imagined. My blog would have to wait; I had to fly home and say goodbye to my Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment