11/24/08

Welcome


I've been calling myself a writer for years. I journal, daydream about characters, and start endless novels (mostly first pages.) Problem is: I don't ever share my work. Although I call myself a writer, I feel it won't be real until I expose myself to criticism, to my friends, to anyone who might like to listen. Today, something happened. My 'now or never' moment in the form of a terrible stomach pang and overall sinking feeling: this was it.

Mid-day, the moment came via my alumni newsletter.

Communication alum has recently quit her job to promote a three book series for young adults. Her blog included pictures, her book signing and the "New in Paperback" display in Barnes and Noble.

My stomach churned as I pictured my own perfect head shot on the cover. This grad was only five years older and it had taken her the previous four to reach this moment. I had a sinking feeling that this could be me; no, it will be me, but when? I need to get started.

This is it. Here. Now. (I'll admit-I'm actually quoting this week's Lipstick Jungle, but it is applicable.)

Hence, welcome to my blog. Ironically, I started my first novel earlier this week. I guess I'm hoping to work out my writing kinks on here, way before I need to reveal the real thing. On a side note, if you're still interested, I invite you to share this experience with me- the novel writing one that is. I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I have a regretful Communications Degree and a few years of copy writing experience. But I do have passion. And a desire to connect people- and with people- through my writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment